Tuesday, May 14, 2013

Teaching Greek in Zambia

         Rev. Dr. L. Banda, Dean of Studies at JMTUC, officially invited me to teach the Greek 3 course in the Bachelor of Theology Programme from June 10 to June 27 during the second term of the academic year 2013.  The course description says, "The purpose of this course is to introduce the student to New Testament Greek in order to read and exegete the biblical text."
          I am scheduled to teach from 10:45 a.m. - 12:35 p.m. (two periods of 50 minutes each per day for five days).  Between now and June 10 (the first day of class), I need to prepare the syllabus and study guide.  I have about fifty different grammatical topics to cover in fifteen days!
         

            I am excited to teach Greek again.  When I was working on my doctorate, I had the opportunity to lead Greek exegetical sections at Union Presbyterian Seminary in Richmond, VA for the "Paul and Acts" course for three years.  There's nothing like teaching Greek to help you learn it better yourself!
            I will be interested to find out at what level these students operate with their Greek.  Typically, the final chapters of a Greek grammar contain somewhat harder concepts, building on what the students have learned earlier.  Many times, irregular forms are introduced, which makes it a little bit harder to learn the concepts.  Fortunately, many of the irregular forms occur rather infrequently in the New Testament.
           
         

No comments:

Post a Comment