Tuesday, June 11, 2013

A Different Perspective

          Teaching today (Tuesday) was lots of fun.  The students spoke up a lot more, asked good questions, and did good work translating some difficult concepts/Greek sentences.  One student named Dorah has asked to meet with me later this afternoon for some help/tutoring.  They will have their first quiz tomorrow morning.  I have a lot to do this afternoon -- writing out the quiz, finishing lesson plan for tomorrow, beginning work on Friday's sermon.
          I asked my students this morning if this weather felt cold to them.  They all said yes.  Some of them are wearing coats, stocking caps, etc.  Meanwhile, I'm in a short sleeved shirt.  It is winter here, but it feels like late September or early October back in Wallace.  There is still no humidity.
          I will preach on Friday in chapel.  The chapel service is at 7:30 a.m.  I need to get to work on my sermon (Dustin said it could/should be 15-20-25 minutes long).
          Dustin has made arrangements for the daughter of his family's housekeeper to do some housekeeping in the house where Marty and I are staying.  I think this probably means sweeping and doing laundry.  All laundry is dried on the clothesline, then everything is ironed in order to kill some kind of bug/insect that can get on the clothes, then possibly bite you and lay eggs inside your skin.  I hope she uses a very hot iron!!!!  I suppose this is work that we could easily do ourselves, but this provides work/income for a Zambian, which is much appreciated.
          I brought four Strawberry Festival 5K t-shirts to the Ellingtons, which they really appreciated.  When I gave them to the Ellingtons, Clayton had a good friend named Jonah visiting.  Jonah is from Canada and his family is living in Zambia.  Jonah apparently is a very, very talented soccer (futbol) player.  Sherri asked me if it was OK to give her t-shirt to Jonah.  Clayton is very interested in cross country running, so he was excited to have a nice running shirt.
           At some point very soon, Marty, Yuri, and I are going to the grocery store to buy some more food.

No comments:

Post a Comment