Friday, June 21, 2013

Do You Want Chips/Fries with that Monkey-Gland Burger?

         Wednesday I took Dustin out for a burger and chips (fries) at a place he recommended -- Mike's Kitchen at the Arcade Mall.

 
          When I got out of class this afternoon at 4:00 p.m., Jurie, Marty, and I went shopping at the Spar store at the Arcade Mall.  We decided to go to Mike's to get some supper.
           Marty had been there before, when he taught at JMTUC last summer.  He ordered the same thing Dustin had on Wednesday night -- the Monkey-Gland Burger!  I couldn't bring myself to order something with that name, so I got a regular hamburger.
           We asked the waitress why it was called the Monkey-Gland Burger.  She said it was the sauce that was put on the burger.  When we asked her what was in the sauce, she said we would have to ask the chef.  When she brought our food to us, she handed Marty a piece of paper with the recipe for the Monkey-Gland sauce:  chopped fried onions, green chutney, tomato sauce, and Worcestershire sauce.  She couldn't tell us how or why it got named Monkey-Gland Burger!
           
            This isn't the Monkey-Gland Burger, but here's a picture from the menu at Mike's:
 
          When I got back to the house after class, Marty greeted me at the door by saying, "Welcome to the land of no power and no water!"  The power usually shuts off around 6:30 or 7:00 p.m.  Today it went off at 4:00 p.m.  The water came back on fairly soon, but the power was still off when we got back from Mike's Kitchen.  I lit two candles and put them on my desk in my room.  Then I used the computer to check e-mails.  It struck me as kind of odd and funny -- to be using a computer by candlelight!
 
          Jurie finished teaching his class today (he started a week earlier than Marty and I).  He flies home to South Africa on Sunday.  It has been a great experience getting to know him and to visit with him.  He talked a lot at supper about the problems in South Africa and how confused (his word) his country is right now.  I asked him what might happen in South Africa when Nelson Mandela dies.  He told us there might be a mourning period as long as ten days and a state funeral.  He also said that there are doomsday people who are predicting the worst when Mandela dies, but Jurie doesn't seem to put much stock in their predictions.
 
          


No comments:

Post a Comment