Monday, June 10, 2013

Eating in Zambia

          Before I left Wallace, folks were asking me what I would be eating in Zambia.  I said I didn't know.  Well, now I do (at least three days worth).
          The school put some food in our kitchen -- cheese, crackers, cereal, milk, juice, tea, coffee, fruit, bacon, eggs, lettuce, tomatoes, bread, etc.  That's what I've been eating for breakfast and lunch.
           The Ellingtons had me and Marty over for supper last night.  Dustin cooked some beef on the grill.  While we were standing outside by the grill, he pointed out the Southern Cross directly overhead.  That was neat to see.
            Tonight Dustin, Marty, Clayton, Christopher, Yuri, and I went to an Indian restaurant for supper.  Yuri taught Presbyterian/Reformed church government at JMTUC for nineteen years.  He is now retired and lives in South Africa.  He is here teaching for three weeks, also.  The name of the Indian restaurant is Mahak.  Each of us had a vegetarian dish which was delicious.  It was like Indian tortillas with different vegetarian dishes to put on the bread.  Spicy!  The meal cost each of us about 35 kwacha or $7.
            One day this week I think we're going out for lunch and eat crocodile burgers (no kidding!).  Dustin and Clayton say they are delicious.  The place is a crocodile farm with 6000 crocodiles.  The skins are shipped to Asia for pocketbooks, etc., and the meat is used for crocodile burgers and other dishes.  Clayton says a croc burger tastes like a mix of chicken and fish.
            Please keep the Ellingtons in your prayers.  They leave for the States three weeks from tomorrow.  They have a lot to do to get ready.  Dustin has a very full teaching schedule at the college, plus administrative work, plus hosting me and Marty.  They seem very happy to have visitors from the States.  The work here is challenging for them.  JMTUC seems to be a good place.  Dustin is doing good work here.
           

No comments:

Post a Comment