Friday, June 28, 2013

Saying a Bittersweet Goodbye

          In an e-mail earlier this week, our daughter, Natalie, said she figured it would be a bittersweet goodbye for me today.  She was right.  I am looking forward to getting home, but I am sorry to leave the folks here at JMTUC.
          At the conclusion of chapel this morning, Dr. Zulu, the rector, called me and Marty to come forward.  He thanked us for teaching during this three week term and we got a round of applause.  He then asked each of us to say a few words.  After that, we were presented with coffee mugs with the Zambian colors and the name of the national futbol/soccer team.  We were asked to stand in the receiving line after chapel.  We shook a lot of hands and received lots of good wishes.
          Marty and I taught the same students (he had one more than I, a man who was taking Hebrew rather than Greek).  Earlier this week they invited us to have coffee with them at 11:30 this morning.  It was a very nice gathering:  coffee, tea, cake, cookies, cheese and crackers.

 
 
          Abraham Mwale, the class representative, opened our gathering with a nice prayer.  After we ate, he offered some comments on behalf of the class.  Again, Marty and I were asked to share our thoughts and feelings about our experience.  Different class members then expressed their appreciation for our teaching.  Each of us was given a card signed by all of the class members.  Shingi even wrote "We love you" in Greek in my card!
         Abraham presented each of us with a wrapped gift and told us the gifts were Zambian shirts for us to wear and to remember them.  I waited until I got back to the house to open the gift.  I expected to find a T-shirt.  Instead, this is what I got!
 
 
          There is a lot of excitement and apprehension on campus today.  First, second, and third year students found out where they will be doing their 5 week practical ministries in July and August.  Fourth year students will soon find out where they will be posted for their first ministry.  They will serve a one year probationary period before being ordained.  I asked Charles where he would be for his practical ministry and he told me the Copperbelt (which is an area quite a distance away from Lusaka to the northwest).  He said he was a little nervous because, as he put it, "That's a different place up there."  He told me he had been born in Lusaka and had spent his whole life in Lusaka.
            We took a class photo with me and Marty.  Everybody was there except for Dorah.  Here is our group.
 
 
          Several students wanted to have their pictures made with us.  They referred to us as their "fathers" for these past three weeks!
 
 
Abraham Mwale
 
 
Noah Siwo
 
 
Godwill Mwanza
 
 
Charles Ngoma
 
 
Leonard Mwanza
 
 
Mphatso Matemba
 
 
Gilbert Mbewe
 
 
 
          I have turned in my final grades and course paperwork to the Dean of Studies.  My suitcase is packed.  Marty and I will eat supper at Dr. Retief's house tonight at 6:00 p.m.  My flight to London leaves at 8:50 a.m. tomorrow.  Dustin wants to have me at the airport two hours before flight time.
 
          It's been quite a Zambian adventure!
 
 
 
 
 
 
 

 
 


 

No comments:

Post a Comment