Monday, June 10, 2013

First Day of Teaching

          Like manna from heaven, my suitcase was sitting at my bedroom door when I returned from teaching my first classes.  Hallelujah! 
          Here's a picture of the outside of the house that Marty and I are sharing, next door to the Ellingtons' house.

 
          This morning at 7:30 a.m., I attended a gathering of faculty and students, at which three faculty members made preliminary presentations of papers they are preparing for a new journal that is being produced by the university college.  The overarching theme is "Developing a Christian Identity in a Globalized Society."  Dustin made an interesting presentation about 1 Corinthians 15.  Presentations were critiqued and there was much discussion.  The other two presentations dealt with the use of Psalm 8 in the Septuagint and the Gospels and the Christian response to the worldwide ecological crisis, especially in Zambia.  The permanent faculty is made up of Zambians and people from other countries, including the Netherlands.  I have met some interesting people on the faculty. Everyone has been very welcoming to me.
         Talk about a challenge:  Imagine walking into a classroom of twelve African students to begin teaching the nuances of adverbial participles!  Dustin had given me some good insights into the abilities of the students (he taught them Greek 1 & 2) and how they would probably respond to me the first day (quiet).  He was right.  For the most part, they seemed pretty well prepared as we reviewed a couple of chapters before getting into the first of the ten chapters I am supposed to cover in the next three weeks.
         I think the class will go well, now that I have the first two hours behind me (I was pretty nervous!).  I have the rest of the afternoon and tonight to prepare for tomorrow's class.  In the first hour tomorrow, we will review their homework assignments (translating sentences from Greek to English), review what we covered in class today, and finish chapter 20.
        Dustin has expressed his appreciation to me and Marty several times for being here to help him teach New Testament.  Dustin shares the New Testament teaching load with one other NT professor.  That professor was on sabbatical for a year, asked for and received an extension, and won't be back until December.  Dustin is snowed under with work at the college, plus getting ready to move back to the States for a year on July 2.
        Dustin and Sherri definitely want to visit our church in Wallace during their year in the States.  They may come this fall.  They are trying to work their schedule around the school schedule for Clayton and Christopher.
         I requested the opportunity to eat some kind of insect while I'm in Zambia (since several people at WPC asked me if I would do that).  Dustin said that could be arranged.  Marty and I are scheduled to eat dinner with different faculty families over the course of the next three weeks.  Apparently there is a faculty member who would take great satisfaction and pride in serving insects.  It ought to be interesting!
          Here are some pictures of school facilities.  The chapel (under construction) reminds me very much of the seminary chapel in Villahermosa, Tabasco, though not as large.
 
 
 
          My students' names are:  Deana Chirwa, Dorah Longwe, Shingi Masunda, Mphatso Matemba, Gilbert Mbewe, Abraham Mwale, Godwill Mwanza, Leonard Mwanza, Charles Ngoma, Sam Kudakwashe Ruzivo, Noah Siwo, and Alex Edson Mwafulirwa.
 


No comments:

Post a Comment