Thursday, June 20, 2013

Happy Anniversary!

          I'm feeling homesick today.  Thirty-two years ago today Nancy and I got married at the Acme Presbyterian Church in her hometown of Riegelwood, North Carolina (Columbus County).


 
 
          This is the first anniversary we've been apart.  Our tradition is to eat an anniversary seafood dinner at Elijah's by the river in Wilmington.  Instead, I think I may be eating African insects and nshemi (the traditional Zambian corn dish) at Dr. Soko's house tonight!  Oh well, Nancy and I have plans to celebrate when I get home.
 
          The sun came out and has warmed things up quite a bit today.  It feels much better and the students and I appreciate the warmth.  Our house feels much better.  Here are a couple of pictures of the students enjoying their much welcomed break during class.
 
 
 
          Greek class is now almost 2/3 completed.  We are spending much time in class translating Greek sentences into English.  Each day I introduce a new topic, then we translate sentences that use what was covered in the lesson, in addition to previous topics.  This is the best way for them to put into practice what I am teaching them.  Here is a sentence we worked on today:
 
 
 
       Translation:  "Men, brothers, sons of the race of Abraham, and those among you who fear the Lord, the word of this salvation has been sent forth to us."
 
       I wrote the following on the board today and talked to the students about the origin of my name, "Philip," in the Greek and about what the word "hippopotamus" means.
 
 
 
            The students thought this was very interesting.  They laughed when I told them I like horses, but I don't know that I love them!




No comments:

Post a Comment