Thursday, June 13, 2013

Life in Zambia

          I bought a colorful scarf at the crocodile farm yesterday.  Dustin said I ought to wear it to class today, the students would love it.  So I did -- he was right.


           Since the liturgical color for the rest of the summer is green (Ordinary Time), maybe I can wear this as a stole with my robe when I preach.  Ha Ha!
           This morning Sherri brought Eunice to our house to do some housekeeping and laundry.  She will come on Thursdays and Mondays.  Eunice and I tried to figure out how to use the washing machine.  She did not know how to use one.  I couldn't figure it out, either.  So, she washed our clothes by hand in the sink in the utility room and hung them on the line to dry.  She is going to do our ironing when she returns on Monday.  I think Marty and I are supposed to pay her about 20 kwacha for each half-day she is here (that's about $4), which Sherri says is a good wage.
            At lunch, Marty told me that the college rector's mother-in-law died.  She was from Livingstone, which is quite a distance to the west (where Victoria Falls are located).  Marty wasn't clear if she was visiting here or staying here.  He doesn't know where the funeral will be held.  Funerals are a BIG deal here in Zambia.  Apparently many, many people attend.  Last year, when Marty was here teaching, a former college rector died.  He said classes were canceled for three days!  So, I guess we'll wait and see.
            Class was fine today.  The material was challenging, not because it was so hard, but because there were many "little" topics to cover.  We spent the second hour translating exercise sentences and verses from the Bible.
            I told my students I had eaten a crocodile burger for lunch yesterday.  They were impressed.  I asked if any of them had ever eaten crocodile.  None had.  When I told Marty about that, he suggested that such a treat might be out of their price range.  I hadn't thought about that.
            Here's a picture of my classroom.

 
          Here are some pictures of some beautiful flowers and trees at the crocodile farm.
 
 
 
          As we were driving through the bush yesterday on our way to lunch, we came to a large commercial farm.  I think the crop is wheat.  It reminded me of riding through Duplin County.
 
 
 
            At the edge of the village I saw a plot of dried up corn stalks.  Dustin and Clayton said the Zambians grow two or three corn crops a year.
 
 
 
          One final note:  If I had some way to bring it back, I'd bring everybody some crocodile meat.  Maybe Billy could change the name of his store to "Billy's Pork & Beef & Crocodile"!
 
 
          It's time to finish my sermon for chapel tomorrow morning.
          God bless you all !




No comments:

Post a Comment